How to Protect Your Custom Motorcycle
Very few people are lucky enough to own a custom motorcycle. If you are one of these individuals, you will want to do everything possible to keep your motorcycle in top condition, but how do you do this? Keep reading below to find some tips that will help you keep your motorcycle looking at its best:
1. Store it Indoors if Possible
You’ve spent a lot of time and money on your custom motorcycle, so one of the most important questions is, where should you store it? The two options are:
- Indoors – this is the best option as it’ll not only help protect your motorcycle from the elements, but it can also prevent theft. Storing your custom motorcycle in the garage is the most secure option.
- Outdoors – unfortunately, not everyone has room to store their motorcycle indoors. If this is the case for you, don’t worry, as there are options available. You could hire a garage to store your bike securely or purchase a motorcycle cover to protect it from the elements.
2. Correctly Prepare Your Motorcycle for Storage
Before storing your motorcycle, you must thoroughly clean and dry it. Motorcycles that are not cleaned properly are likely to rust. As well as this, if you’re planning to leave your motorcycle in storage for a couple of weeks or longer, you need to:
- Give the bike’s engine a good coating of penetrating oil or rust-proofing spray.
- Oil the bike chain as these are susceptible to rust.
3. Buy a Motorcycle Cover
We mentioned above that people who store their custom motorcycle outdoors can buy a motorcycle cover to protect it from the elements. However, people who store their motorcycles indoors can also benefit from one of these. Motorcycle covers are made of waterproof materials that protect bikes from moisture and dust.
4. Protect Your Bike Against Mice
Although mice don’t often make their home in a motorcycle airbox, it does happen from time to time. So, it’s best to protect your motorcycle against them. The best way to do this is with a mouse trap. Place several traps near your motorcycle to lure them away from your pride and joy. The great news is that you can purchase humane mouse traps, meaning you don’t have to harm them.
5. Think About Security
As well as protecting your custom motorcycle from animals, the elements, and rust, you must also protect it against thieves. You can do this by purchasing some high-quality locks and cameras. Another option is purchasing a motorcycle tracking system for your motorcycle. While this type of technology can be expensive, they are believed to be the most successful security devices; they have an exceptionally successful retrieval rate after a vehicle is stolen.
Correctly protecting your motorcycle is one of the biggest challenges motorcycle owners face. Failing to properly look after your vehicle can have terrible and often financially crippling consequences. This can cause real heartache for the owner. Follow the advice above to prevent this and ensure your custom motorcycle is kept in top condition.